Unit IX – The United States Economy
Competency Goal 9: The learner will analyze factors influencing the United States economy.
• Globalization can impact a nation’s economy through various factors which may result in cultural, political, and social change.
• Political action may impact a nation’s economy and result in changing government regulations.
• Advances in technology and the rise of global trade may impact a nation’s economy.
9.01 Identify phases of the business cycle and the economic indicators used to measure economic activities and trends.
• How are economic indicators used to measure trends in the economy?
• Which aspects of the business cycle are prime for investment and which ones signal a slow down?
• How do producers and consumers impact the rise and fall of the business cycle?
Per Capita GDP
Standard of living
Consumer Price Index
9.02 Describe the impact of government regulation on specific economic activities.
• How is the conflict between private interests and government regulation resolved?
• What measures are in place to ensure fair labor practices in the US economy?
• What impact does government regulation have on production and consumption in the United States?
Work place safety
9.03 Explain the impact of the movement of human and capital resources on the United States economy.
• Why do population shifts have a significant impact on the economy both in terms of resources and labor?
• How has the United States been affected by the shift from a focus on manufacturing to service?
• What effects do current immigration trends have on local economies?
Frostbelt or Rustbelt
Research Triangle Park
9.04 Assess how current events impact decisions made by consumers, producers, and government policy makers.
• How do advances in technology influence the choices made by consumers and producers?
• To what extent has terrorist activity affected the national government’s economic decisions and impacted local economies?
• How has outsourcing affected manufacturing in North Carolina?
Out-sourcing North Carolina’s Furniture and Textile Industries
9.05 Identify the major domestic problems of the nation under the Articles of Confederation and assess the extent to which they were resolved by the new Constitution.
• How are the interests of free trade and protectionism resolved in the global economy?
• What impact do trade surpluses and deficits have on the national and the international economies?
• What effect do the limited labor and environmental regulations of foreign countries have on the economy of the United States?
Unfavorable Balance of
Favorable Balance of Trade
North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA)
World Trade Organization (WTO)
European Union (EU)
9.06 Investigate the ways that domestic and international economies are interdependent.
• What impact do developing nations play in the global economy?
• What responsibility do developed nations have in assisting weaker nations to grow economically?
• How are international financial and economic organizations used to maintain stability in the global economy?
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
9.07 Analyze the short- and long-term effects of fiscal and monetary policy on the United States economy.
• How does the Federal Reserve use monetary policy to ensure balance and stability in the US economy?
• What role does government spending play in maintaining a stable and solid economy?
• How does the federal government accrue revenue and determine its distribution?
Personal Income Tax
Federal Reserve System (FED)
Loose (Easy) money policy
Tight money policy
9.08 Analyze the influence of environmental factors, economic conditions, and policy decisions on individual economic activities.
• How should government balance the needs of industry with those of protecting the environment and natural resources? and what are the
consequences of favoring one over the other?
• How does local government make decisions about maintaining property and development, while balancing the effects on the economy?
• How does government regulation of the national economy impact local economies and the economic choices of individuals?
Clean Air and Water
Bear and bull markets
OPEC Oil Embargo
Before 1400 * 1400-1500 * 1501-1600 * 1601-1650 *1651-1700 *1701-1725 *1726-1750 * 1751-1775 *1776-1800