Unit XII : The United States since the Vietnam War (1973-present)
Competency Goal 12: The United States since the Vietnam War (1973-present) - The learner will identify and analyze trends in domestic and foreign affairs of the United States during this time period.
• Attempts to gain influence over an area can occur through political, economic, and military means.
• The national government may increase its scope of power during times of crisis.
• Social and cultural values of a society may influence political and economic decisions of the government.
12.01 Summarize significant events in foreign policy since the Vietnam War.
• How have significant events in foreign policy since the Vietnam War impacted America and America’s role in the world?
• To what degree is the self-perception of the U.S. impacted by world opinion?
• What impact does the media have in shaping United States foreign policy?
Factual ContentYom Kipper War
Yasser Arafat-Palestine Nationalism (PLO)
Camp David Accords
Shah of Iran
Iranian Hostage Crisis
Strategic Defense Initiative (Star Wars)
U.S. invasion of Lebanon
Fall of the Berlin Wall
Persian Gulf Wars
Famine/Somalia and Ethiopia
12.02 Evaluate the impact of recent constitutional amendments, court rulings, and federal legislation on United States' citizens.
• How have recent constitutional amendments, court rulings, and federal legislation impacted the lives of U.S. citizens?
• Have recent government actions increased civil rights and liberties of citizens?
• To what extent did federal legislation promote equality in the last part of the 20th century?
12.03 Identify and assess the impact of economic, technological, and environmental changes in the United States.
• How has America been impacted by economic, technological, and environmental changes?
• What is the price of innovation and change?
• What is the role of citizens in caring for and protecting the environment?
Supply and demand
Three Mile Island
Department of Energy
National Energy Act
Supply-Side economics (Reagonomics)
12.04 Identify and assess the impact of social, political, and cultural changes in the United States.
• To what extent have recent social, political, and cultural changes in the U.S. affected life in America?
• Have the differences in political ideologies created a more divisive society?
• What factors have contributed to shaping the social, political, and cultural identity of America?
Elections of 1976-2000
New Right Coalition
Gay Rights Movement
Graying of America
Immigration Policy Act
Objective 12.05: Assess the impact of growing racial and ethnic diversity in American society.
• To what extent is America more racially and ethnically diverse today than at the turn of the 20th century?
• Have the changes in American society improved life in the U.S.?
• What impact has recent immigration had on the social, economic, and political culture of the US?
12.06 Assess the impact of twenty-first century terrorist activity on American society.
• How has the nation changed since the events of 9/11?
• How does society balance the desire to increase freedoms while maintaining national security?
• How far should the government go to secure protection for its citizens?
Osama bin Laden
September 11, 2001
George W. Bush
World Trade Center
War on Iraq
Department of Homeland Security
"Axis of Evil"