Indian Pioneer History Project for Oklahoma
Name: Effie B. Jackson
Post Office: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Date of Birth:
Place of Birth:
Father: Place of Birth: Information on father:
Mother: Place of birth: Information on mother:
MARRIAGES As nearly as can now be ascertained the first marriages here were those of J. W. Aracher [ARCHER]and Miss Florence ETTER, and E. F. MOORE and Miss Hattie GILLISS, which were solemnized together in September, 1883. At that time, no one having authority to perform the ceremony lived in Tulsa, so parties were compelled to resort to the residence of Rev. T. W. PERRYMAN near Broken Arrow, about twenty miles.
Other early marriages were ______ and Sarah E. CROWELL, in the early autumn of 188?. After which A. D. ORCUTT and Adaline HODGE were married a little later in the same year. So far as is known the marriages of the next years were: E. T. STAFFLEBEEM and Nanie LENOX; Frank SINETT and Josie BRILEY; and George H. MCELROY and Joannie HODGE.
The first birth is believed to be that of Johnie SORRELL in August, 1883. The second, ?Willie CROWELL May 13th 1884. (This child came to his death at the age of three by choking on a grain of coffee)Y.
Vol. 31, p. 8
RANCHES CRANE and LAIMER went out of the ranching business. Like the 3-D ranch, scattered grazing areas gave way to oil development. Pumping wells dot this vast area today. The southeast corner is an exclusive residence district of Tulsa with out-lying well-developed suburban additions.
GEORGE PERRYMAN RANCH In 1882 George PERRYMAN, brother of Legus Perryman, (one of the leaders of the Creek Nation, later a chief), got permission from the Creek Council to fence in a certain described area, paying three cents per acre rental. This was to be a strip ten miles wide (east and west), starting at the Osage, Cherokee, Creek corner, to follow the Cherokee line ten miles east, then about 12 miles south (where Broken Arrow is today), then west to the Arkansas river, north to point of beginning. The fence skipped the corner where the village of Tulsa was, starting from the stock-yards (the at Lewis and Frisco tracks). Later Perryman extended his holding east to the Verdigris.
Perryman subleased the major part of his holding, to J. M. DAUGHERTY and PIERCE and FORSYTHE. He retained the area south of Tulsa, from what is now 21st ST. to about what is 81st street west to the Arkansas river, east to Lewis Avenue (today).
On 34th street (today), about half way between Lewis and Peoria Ave. was the AOld Log House@, old type big double log, center opening, ranch headquarters, easily housed 15 cowboys. This was built in the 70=s and has been torn down. This was the location of the Tulsa=s first postoffice, when the Star mail route from Muskogee was established in 1878, at George Perryman=s house.
AThe White House@, famous as the most pretentious home in this part of the country in early days, was built in 1884. It is located on 41st street about half way between Lewis and Peoria Avenues (a special report to be made). George Perryman=s daughter, Ella HORNER, still lives there. The lumber to build this was hauled overland from Coffeyville, Kansas. Later Perryman built another pretentious home, uptown in the center of the block where the Tulsa County Court house now stands. This Perryman ranch was later divided into allotments for respective members of the family and today these grants have become most exclusive residence sections and small landed estates. MOSE PERRYMAN RANCH In 1883 George Perryman leased the land across the Arkansas river lying between what is today Jenks and Glen Pool. This was very fine bottom land. His headquarters were on Coal creek. This later became the allotment of his son, Mose Perryman, and was known by his brand as the Figure 5 ranch (5). The widow of Mose Perryman still lives there today in the old ranch house. Lon STANSBERRY told me that it had one of the finest springs in the country and that many a time he cooked craw-dad legs in his oatmeal on that spot.
PIERCE-FORSYTHE RANCH In 1893 Jay FORSYTHE (a Texas cattleman) leased the HOGAN pasture of about 10,000 acres (in the bend of the Arkansas, southeast of Bixby), and from George PERRYMAN all pastures between what is today 81st St. on the north to the Arkansas river on the south and west, on the east to the Daugherty ranch... As Bill MCCUILLOUGH (who was their foreman) says, AThe Pierce and Forsythe ranch included the Mingo pastures, Hogan pasture, U pasture and Two Circle Bar, practically all the land lying between 81st St. (today) on the north and Broken Arrow on the south. Shanghai PIERCE was a noted Texas cattleman from Galveston and later formed a partnership with Forsythe. Headquarters for this ranch was on Mingo creek, one mile..............
Vol. 30, p. 500-02
Abstracted and submitted by Joan Case <email@example.com> 02-99